My mum was incredibly sweet and baked me a vegan chocolate cake for my birthday! It was absolutely delicious and was all gone within a day. My mum is an excellent baker (and a big fan of my blog) so she's letting me share the recipe with you. Here you go!
Vegan Chocolate & Beetroot Sponge Cake
- 400g plain flour
- 200g castor sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- half teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 400ml soya milk
- 2 medium fresh beetroot, peeled and grated or cooked and mashed
- 4oz Pure sunflower spread
- 2oz icing sugar
1. Sieve all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, leaving out the beetroot.
2. Add all the wet ingredients, leaving out the beetroot.
3. Mix well until smooth.
4. Add the beetroot and mix well until colour is even.
5. Line and grease two round cake tins and pour in mixture evenly.
6. Bake in oven for 30-40 mins on 180c, 350f or gas 4 until springy to touch in middle.
7. Turn out cakes onto cooling rack immediately and ice when cooled.
8. For the icing, place ingredients into bowl and mix until blended. Spread in between the two cakes, sandwich together and spread on top of cooled cakes.
This recipe also works just fine without beetroot, but the beetroot will give it more moisture.
Pure sunflower spread has always worked tremendously well in vegan baking for us both so far so I can certainly recommend it for the icing. And the dark chocolate buttons on top are from Ombar. Also it may be time to stop having the same number of candles as my age - see if you can work it out ;)
If you try the recipe let me know! Do you do any vegan baking? I certainly want to try some more!